Job Title: Research Fellow (RF)
Educations: Dr. Abbas has completed his PhD in Peace and Conflict Studies from Centre for International Peace and Stability (CIPS), National University of Sciences and Technologies (NUST). His PhD dissertation is “Mapping Resilience of Weak Democracies against Political Agitation for Government Change: A Case Study of Pakistan”. Based on his PhD dissertation, he has extensive research experience on domestic political issues including the ‘art of regime change’, ‘politics of agitation’, democracy and human rights in Pakistan.
Area of Research: International Relations (with particular emphasis on Foreign and Defense Policies of the Six GCC States (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and Oman), Geopolitics, and Inter-state Relations (especially among Pakistan and Arab countries, China and Arab Countries, India and Arab Countries)
Currently Dr. Abbas is serving as Research Fellow (RF) at IPRI. Dr. Abbas has extensively worked on Foreign and Defense Policies of the Six GCC States (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and Oman), Geopolitics, and Inter-state Relations among Pakistan and Arab countries, China and Arab Countries, India and Arab Countries.
Dr. Abbas regularly delivers lectures in International and National universities as well as presents papers in National and International Conferences. Dr. Abbas undertakes extensive research and regularly contributes in academic research journals and national/international dailies. He has a book chapter, eleven research articles and more than a hundred newspaper articles in his credit.
Currently, Dr. Abbas is at the Peer Review Panel of globally renowned Academic Journals including “Asian Survey”, “Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies” and “Policy Perspectives”. He is an active member of Pakistan-Afghanistan Youth Dialogue, a Track-II Dialogue Series at Center for Research and Security Studies (CRSS), Islamabad, Pakistan, Permanent Member of China-South and Southeast Asia Think Tank Forum (CSSTTF) at Yunnan Academy of Social Sciences (YASS), Kunming, China and Regular a Member of China-Arab States Think Tank Forum, China. To attend various international conferences and courses/fellowships, Dr. Abbas has travelled so far to China, Qatar and Thailand.
- Economic Integration in South Asia: Overcoming Major Challenges, in “Deeper Integration for Peace and Prosperity in South Asia” ed. Dr. Nischal N. Panday, Knorad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS) Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT), 2015.
- “Passive Mediation in Persian Gulf Conflicts: An Analysis of Pakistan’s Peace Initiatives” Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, Vol. 16, No. 3 2019 , pp. 1-18) DOI: 10.1080/25765949.2019.1682306
- Indian Growing Influence in Persian Gulf: Political, Strategic and Economic Implications for Pakistan, IPRI Journal, Vol. XIX, Vol. 2, 2019 (HEC category “X” )
- Pakistan-Azerbaijan Economic and Defence Cooperation, IPRI Journal, Vol XVI- No.1, Winter 2016. (HEC category “X”)
- Emerging Post Nuclear Deal Scenarios, Prospects and Challenges in Middle East” NDU Margalla Papers 2016. (HEC category “X”)
- Pak-Iran Economic Relations: Potential and Prospects, IPRI Insight, Vol-2, Issue-I, 2015.
- Strategizing Kashmiri Freedom Struggle through Nonviolent Means, Policy Perspective Vol. 16, No. 2, 2019. (HEC category “Y”)
- Pakistan-US Relations under Trump Administration: Challenges and Opportunities for Pakistan’ Journal of Strategic Studies Vol. 3, No.2. 2017 (HEC category “Y”)
- Political Dynamics and Security situation of Pakistan: Impact on CPEC” published in Journal of Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) Vol. 1, No. 1, 2018, Beijing, China.
- The Kashmir Dispute and Perceptions of Pakistan’s Youth: An Empirical Analysis, Journal of Contemporary Affairs (JOCA), Vol 2, No. 1, 2017
- Indian Military Buildup: Impact on Regional Stability, Journal of Contemporary Affairs (JOCA), Vol. 1, No.1&2, 2016.
- Kurdistan’s Attempted Secession from Iraq: Major Powers’ Responses and Regional Implications, (Journal of Current Affairs (JoCA) Vol. 4, No. 1, 2019)
Dr. Abbas can be reached at Khurram.firstname.lastname@example.org
He tweets at @itskhurramabbas